HomeAbout MeMeet Our FamilyBooks I RecommendContact Me

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Warm towels and other morning routines

We have this routine every morning with the boys that started as a fluke but has developed into a necessary part of our morning. One day when the boys were getting done with their showers they needed clean towels. I had been running the dryer that morning and there were a couple of clean towels in there so I grabbed them….thus started the tradition of the warm towels.

The next day Gabriel wanted to know where his warm towel was. I hadn’t made it warm and he was very disappointed. So from that day on it is something that I have done every morning. Before I get in the shower when I get up I put their towels into the dryer so that in an hour when I have to get them up their towels will be toasty warm!

And if you think about it, what would be better after a warm shower and the cold air of the house starts to come into the room and then you are covered with a warm towel to dry off with! Hey I think I need someone to get me a warm towel every morning! Don’t feel too bad for me though Dominic doesn’t get the warm towels either!

There is something comforting about being wrapped up in a warm towel, or a warm blanket when it is cold. So I can understand how they enjoy this. And really it is very little out of my time every day to give them a good start to their morning. And mornings can be difficult at times with sleepy kids so this is something that hopefully will make good memories for them of their childhood.

Another routine that we have developed over the past couple of years has been that before we leave in the morning we say prayers together as a family. We have a couple of “recited” prayers that we say first and then one of us will say a closing prayer. Although Gabriel is only 4 (almost 5) he is a smart little guy. One day he surprised us and said the prayers along with us, reciting every word! We were so impressed because it took us awhile to memorize them. But I suppose hearing them over and over stuck in his mind.

For a long time he wouldn’t say them with us even though we knew he had them down. Just his way of showing his defiance I guess! But in the past few weeks he has been saying them with us again. It is the way that he says them that has me laughing almost every morning. He starts out all sweet “God…” and then the rest of the prayer he says in this almost angry sounding loud whisper.

I have to really concentrate not to laugh when he does this because it sounds so hilarious! And I don’t really think he is angry but it sure sounds like he is! Oh well, God loves to hear our voices even if the “tone” isn’t the best. I am glad that for today he was at least willing to try! I thought I would end by sharing these recited prayers with you – we enjoy them because they help us focus on God’s will for our lives and how we can help our fellow man.

“God, I offer myself to thee
To build with me and do with me as Thou wilt
Relieve me of the bondage of self that I might better do Thy will
Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear witness to
Those I might help of Thy power, Thy love and Thy way of life
May I do Thy will always.”

“My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad
I pray that You now remove from me every single defect of character
Which stands in the way of my usefulness to You and my fellows.
Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do Your bidding. Amen”

No comments:



The Smith Family Journey

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin


Recent Visitors

Love (in)courage

Get Your Verse On!

Wild Olive

Love Gussy!

Maggie Whitley Gussy Sews

Are you a "Sunday"?

Praying for our kids

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved