HomeAbout MeMeet Our FamilyBooks I RecommendContact Me

Monday, January 11, 2010

Bring Your Heavy Spirit to the Lord

Today my spirit is feeling heavy. Sometimes the weight of the world around me – even if it isn’t my direct “problem” – seems like so much. I guess to be honest there are times that I struggle to reconcile with why things have to be the way they are in this world.

Why are some babies born with fatal illnesses – illnesses that take the life of an 11 month old baby boy?
Please pray for Ryan and Ashley as they just lost their son last week to Spinal Muscular Dystrophy.

Why do dads have to find out they have cancer and within weeks go so downhill?
Please pray for Lesli and her family as they deal with the continued “bad news” and work to do what is best for her dad.

Why do children have to live in extreme poverty, extreme hunger? Why does a 20 year old boy- no larger than my 6 year old have to live life naked, on the ground, with bent arms and legs from cerebral palsy – where the simple act of playing catch brings a smile to his face?
Please pray for the people of Haiti, especially the children.

Why didn’t I wake up this morning feeling grateful? Grateful that my children are healthy and thriving. Grateful that my parents are still here and we get to see them every week. Grateful that no one in our family has ever felt the pains of having nothing to eat, or a chill from having nothing to wear.

I guess the honest truth is that most of the time I am so focused on myself that I forget that there is this world out there hurting, struggling, and dying. I take my luxuries, my children, and my family for granted. I get irritated because someone left their dirty socks on the living room floor, or frustrated that I am not getting a full night’s sleep, or angry that one of my kids is ignoring what I have asked them to do.

And then there are times like right now. Where in the middle of my day I am struck with this overwhelming heaviness, when I should be working but I can’t seem to focus on the task at hand. Maybe this is the Holy Spirit prodding me to prayer.

Honestly, right now that is all that I can do. I don’t have all the answers. I don’t understand the “whys”. But I do have a mighty God that does have all the answers, that does know all the “whys”. And at a moment like this all I can do is lift up my hands and offer up these requests to Him.

So I lay at His feet the grieving parents. And I lay at His feet the struggling family. And I lay at His feet the broken children and I trust that while He may not stop the “bad” from happening – He is walking alongside every father and mother, every sister, every brother, every child.

“The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green Pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake, Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me, thy rod and staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointed my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever”. Psalms 23:1-6

No comments:



The Smith Family Journey

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin


Recent Visitors

Love (in)courage

Get Your Verse On!

Wild Olive

Love Gussy!

Maggie Whitley Gussy Sews

Are you a "Sunday"?

Praying for our kids

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved