HomeAbout MeMeet Our FamilyBooks I RecommendContact Me

Friday, January 29, 2010

A Tribute

Karlena gave me a daily calendar for Christmas with these little inspirational sayings on them. Today’s saying said the following…”Do not save your loving speeches for your friends till they are dead; Do not write them on their tombstones, Speak them rather now instead.”

So because Karlena gave me the calendar that gave me the reminder I am going to pay tribute to my friend Karlena.

Karlena you have been a friend for so many years. During those difficult Junior High years, you were fun to be around, supportive and always happy. Your smile was and still is today infectious. In High School, although we didn’t spend a lot of time together you always treated me as though we were close friends. I think that I could have called on you for any reason, at any time and you would have responded.

When I found out that we were both attending Augustana I was relieved. It was comforting to know that I wouldn’t be alone and that we happened to both choose to live in the “quiet dorm” was no coincidence. I think that God had His hand in our lives as friends long before I realized it.90210/pizza nights in your room were the highlight of my weeks and I will always remember how much we all laughed. Although the school wasn’t where I was meant to be – sharing that experience with you was.

I think our friendship really grew that year and when we both decided to transfer to USD I knew that once again I was going to be able to make the transition smoothly. Remember that awful dorm room at USD. The room was SMALL and every freshman girl on our floor had only one thing in mind….PARTY. I remember us both being so frustrated about the noise. It was a blessing that we were able to transfer early that year to a different room. “ER” nights were on the agenda that year!!

You were the first person, after Dominic, that I called when I found out I was pregnant with Isaac. You had me come with you to Whimpys where I had a chicken dinner with some of your friends from class. I was terrified and sick and knowing that you supported me and loved me was such a blessing during that time.

I couldn’t have chosen a better Maid of Honor at our wedding and I know that you helped me in so many ways during the planning of our big day. You have been so supportive of me time and time again and I am blessed by it.

For several years we didn’t see each other much when we lived far apart. But I always knew that you would be there if I needed a listening ear, or someone to pray for me. I have seen your faith bloom and grow throughout the years and I know that you are a woman after God’s own heart.

A few years ago we started getting together annually for the Women of Faith Conferences. I always look forward to our time at these conferences and love to be able to worship and celebrate God’s amazing grace with you.

You are always overly generous when I come and visit you and I just cherish being able to sit and share life. I know that I can share anything with you and you will love me. You have never judged me or my choices and have been a constant pillar of prayer when I needed it most.
You continue to bless me and my family with your support and I wish that I could express how much that means to me…to us. My life is complete with you as my friend and I hope that I can be that blessing to you also.

So today Karlena I thank God for you. I thank God for the work He has done in you and for the example that you are to me, to so many. My children will grow up knowing about the impact you have had on their mom’s life. You are a true treasure.
Much love, Kristin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute. I am also eternally grateful that you had Karlena as a friend. When you had your struggles and couldn't comfortably talk to me, I knew you had Karlena and that was a blessing. I prayed often for both of you and still do. I love you both! Mom

Amanda said...

Beautiful tribute.. what a wonderful friend!

Blessings-
Amanda



The Smith Family Journey

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin


Recent Visitors

Love (in)courage

Get Your Verse On!

Wild Olive

Love Gussy!

Maggie Whitley Gussy Sews

Are you a "Sunday"?

Praying for our kids

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved