HomeAbout MeMeet Our FamilyBooks I RecommendContact Me

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mowing

When I was younger mowing was something that the boys in the family took care of. Until recently, I am almost ashamed to admit, that I had never started, pushed or ridden a mower in my life.

My husband's parent's live outside of Parker -the town where we attend church. Sunday's have become somewhat of a tradition in the Smith family that we go to Sunday school and church and then afterwards the family gathers at grandma and grandpa's house for lunch.

Everyone helps getting things ready, it is usually loud and somewhat unorganized - but it is family and we wouldn't change a thing! Lots of laughter and lots of love!

Because they live outside of town a ways, they have several acres of land to tend to. So for the past couple of years we have helped when we can with the mowing. Gabriel LOVES the "tractor", as he calls it. He has been riding on that mower since he was very small - often times falling asleep in grandpa's arms while he mowed.

Every Sunday that we go our there, Gabriel wants to get on the tractor. About 2 years ago I took the plunge and decided to try this thing for myself. I still have trouble remembering how to start it - with all the levers and everything...but once it is ready I am off!

What an unexpected joy this somewhat menial task has become to me. It has become a time of worship for me, a time of reflection, a time of prayer. I can sing as loud as I want, whatever I want - and no one will hear me, no one but God of course! :) I know that maybe sounds silly - but when you are on a mower going around and around in circles for an hour or more...well you have to occupy your mind with something.

Today as we mowed I was grateful for the sunshine and the breeze and for the smell of the fresh cut grass. Grateful for the time alone with Gabriel, doing something that was making him really happy, grateful that I can do something simple like mow for someone else just to be of service.

If you find yourself in need of some time alone with God, some time to be able to sing as loud as you want and no one will hear you, some time to be able to easily find things to be grateful for, or some time to be of service to someone else....hop on a mower. It definitely has become something unexpected for me!

God bless your Sunday!

No comments:



The Smith Family Journey

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin


Recent Visitors

Love (in)courage

Get Your Verse On!

Wild Olive

Love Gussy!

Maggie Whitley Gussy Sews

Are you a "Sunday"?

Praying for our kids

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved