HomeAbout MeMeet Our FamilyBooks I RecommendContact Me

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Isaac!!


I can hardly believe it, especially because I have most definitely not aged it, but Isaac is 12 years old today! Wow sometimes I still can’t believe that we have a son that old!

Just as I did with Gabriel – I wanted to take some time today to reflect on what it was like bringing Isaac into this world and share with you what an amazing young man he is becoming.

We were young, naive and inexperienced when we were pregnant with Isaac. I loved kids, had done lots of babysitting growing up, but was really in no way prepared for what it really meant for us to be expecting a child of our own!

I remember in the beginning being so self-conscious about how my body was changing. I wasn’t always comfortable about how I looked and this new experience pushed that envelope a bit! But feeling those first kicks and seeing that ultrasound made us both so excited!

As new parents we did a lot of reading and took some of the classes that would prepare us for labor etc. (Yeah right! No offense to the people who put these on, but I had no idea what to really expect when the time actually came!)

It was a Monday morning, very early 1-2am and I woke up and felt “funny”…I was sure that I had heard/felt a “pop” and upon further examination discovered that my water had broken.

I think we maybe called my parents and then headed over to the hospital in Vermillion to see what they had to say. They verified that my water had broken and that I was 2cm dilated. They gave me this card that said something like “Do not Stop, Do not pass Go, Go directly to Sioux Falls”.

So that is what we did – went to SF and began the VERY long labor process to bring Isaac into the world! Lets just say that things weren’t progressing like I had hoped and the whole “breathing through the pain” went out the window at hour #1!

I can’t say I remember many of the details except that I cried A LOT and apologized A LOT for all of my crying and begged and begged for an epidural that I couldn’t have until I was dilated to a 4, which took hours. Once I was able to have that things started to progress a little faster, probably because I was able to relax a little!

One memorable moment – and I apologize this is going to be a TMI moment – so skip it if you don’t want to experience it with me – but Dominic’s aunt Monica stopped up to see us and said she had some advice to when it came to pushing the baby out. She said just remember to pretend you are “pooping out a watermelon”. I didn’t get it at the time – but when it came time to push I got it and it worked! Thanks Monica!!

The whole time I was pregnant, my doctor at the time, told me she was sure that the baby would only be about 7lbs or so. I didn’t look real huge so I guess she figured I had a smaller baby inside me.

She was wrong!! Isaac came into the world around 8pm that evening and was 8lbs 15oz – he was a BIG boy! And perfect in every way!!

Isaac, being our first, has had to endure our parenting mistakes and blunders. He has been the one to be the first to experience all those new things with and it has been so much fun! I found a picture of us together at his kindergarten graduation and I can’t believe that he is now in Middle School. The time has gone too fast!

Isaac has been such an amazing help to us with Gabriel. He is patient, kind and caring and has expressed his excitement about the new addition to our family. He is everything that we could want in a son – and then some.

Today I feel truly blessed to have Isaac in our family. I know that God has something very special planned for him. Isaac has a huge heart and love for people and it shows in his everyday actions. I can’t wait to see where His road takes him and I am so proud to be his mom!

Happy Birthday Isaac may this year be extra special for you and may you know what a gift you are to your dad and I! We love you!

No comments:



The Smith Family Journey

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin


Recent Visitors

Love (in)courage

Get Your Verse On!

Wild Olive

Love Gussy!

Maggie Whitley Gussy Sews

Are you a "Sunday"?

Praying for our kids

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved