HomeAbout MeMeet Our FamilyBooks I RecommendContact Me

Monday, March 15, 2010

Carpenter

This afternoon at work I overheard an interesting conversation across the way from where I sit. First to set the stage if you will the conversation started with a discussion on what the word “carpenter” meant. One girl actually thought that a carpenter was a just person who laid carpet. I am serious…that is what I heard!! She’s a blonde and it is statements like that that give girls like me (another blonde) a bad rap…. :)

Anyways….then one of the girls says something like “Wasn’t Jesus a carpenter”? This is then followed with a Google search and a call to her mother – on speaker phone – and her mom told her to read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John!

I was a little dumbfounded by this whole conversation. Did these girls (in their mid to late 20’s) really not know about Jesus? One girl read something off the internet that talked about Jesus dying on a cross to save us from our sins….the conversation didn’t go much further.

It bothers me that no one spoke up to tell them the truth.

It convicts me that I didn’t have the courage to stand up and tell them the truth.

It convicts me that it is easier for me to sit at a desk and type a post about how I didn’t act on what I heard, and I wasn’t an example for Christ.

And if these “typical” all American girls haven’t heard the Good News then imagine how many are in countries where Christians are persecuted that have not heard.

I am ashamed.

I am ashamed that I am afraid. Sure I have shared my “story” before. But usually to someone who wants to hear it. I can easily post about my faith walk and how God is teaching me different things…but I know that any reader can stop when or if they feel uncomfortable by what I am sharing – no one is forcing you to read this right now. And so far I haven’t had any negative comments here so I don’t feel “fear” in this arena.

But if it means I have to go and take that step and walk over to where people are asking questions…well I am filled with fear. What if they get angry? What if they reject me? What if they talk badly about me when I leave?

And so here I sit, able to more easily admit my shame and guilt than walk across the room and share the truth about Jesus.

Resurrection Sunday is fast approaching. A time when we focus and celebrate the amazing sacrifice that was given for us. And I can’t help but feel a little connected to Peter. Peter loved Jesus, had seen firsthand the power of God through Him, but when it came time to stand up and defend Him – he denies Christ, not once but THREE times!

But I know that this came as no surprise to God. He knew what Peter would do, He knew what I was going to do – or not do – this afternoon. And yet He chose anyways to make the ultimate sacrifice in His Son.

The magnitude of that sacrifice is too much to comprehend. I am praising God today for who He is. And I pray for the courage to stand, to walk, to step out in faith and not fear next time the opportunity arises.

No comments:



The Smith Family Journey

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin


Recent Visitors

Love (in)courage

Get Your Verse On!

Wild Olive

Love Gussy!

Maggie Whitley Gussy Sews

Are you a "Sunday"?

Praying for our kids

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved