HomeAbout MeMeet Our FamilyBooks I RecommendContact Me

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

15 Years of Marriage!

15 years ago today my life changed forever.  After a big morning thunderstorm, I did my own hair and makeup(does anyone do that anymore these days?!) and headed over to the church to say "I do" to Dominic.

When we were in college he used his nickname "Nick"...so that is how I and most of our families knew him.  But Dominic is his legal name and so when we said our vows I used that. I remember being so afraid that I might screw that up and saying Dominic sounded so weird to me...now it is hard for me to say Nick!! :)

When my dad handed me over to my future husband he took both of our hands and told us to "never, never , never give up".  I didn't realize at the time why he would say that...I mean who would give up on marriage??

But then things got hard. I was unprepared for what being a wife and a mother would entail. My "stuff" was now our stuff - but I didn't see it that way. My time was now our time - but I didn't see it that way. I was selfish and often felt like I deserved better...more. And when I didn't see that fairy tale life unfolding - when marriage started to take "work" I wanted to run.

We vowed that God would be a part of our marriage but didn't truly invite Him into our relationship in the beginning.  I believed in God but again when things got hard, I didn't believe that He was there for us. Why wouldn't God just make things better. Why wouldn't he change my husband because he was always the problem right?!

 (not so much....)

But God was there - each and every day He has been there. And when we were ready to follow...God began to lead us down His path for our lives. I am so grateful today that we didn't give up on each other. God has blessed our marriage and I can now see those hard times as blessings.

The trials we had gave us a new and different perspective. We now have a stronger marriage because of them and I wouldn't change our past because I love our today.

Dominic - I fell for you after that first long conversation in my dorm room. You shared your stories and your life with me and I was over the moon for you. Today I love you even more than I the day we exchanged vows. I am so grateful that you continue to love me, that you are a leader in our home and a wonderful father.  You are an example to me in living out our faith - even when it is hard and I am so excited to see what the next 15 +15 +15... years holds for us.

Happy 15 Year Anniversary!!

2 comments:

Kami said...

Congratulations on 15 years! That is quite the accomplishment. In our society where divorce is just another word, marriages that last through the tough times are the ones that I admire the most. You are amazing and I am so happy for you that you have had 15 years with your husband!

Sarah E @ theteacherswife.com said...

Happy Anniversary! What your dad whispered to you is so very true and I'm so glad yall stuck it out when times were tough! What a testimony that is to your kids and to everyone who knows you! To may more years!



The Smith Family Journey

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin


Recent Visitors

Love (in)courage

Get Your Verse On!

Wild Olive

Love Gussy!

Maggie Whitley Gussy Sews

Are you a "Sunday"?

Praying for our kids

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved